Sunday, October 21, 2012

Ebingers Famous Brooklyn Blackout Cake

I was daydreaming about my childhood one day and I had a fond memory of this cake. This cake was always a rare treat in my home growing up and on the day we had the opportunity to have it, it never lasted more than a day. I just remember it being the best chocolate cake ever. There was an Ebingers in my old neighborhood on Flatbush Ave next to Macys. I always loved going there to get a glimpse of all the delicious cakes in the window and wish and pray that Mom would bring something, anything home. Fast forward to today.....where has this cake been!!! It has quickly become a legend of its time and many have been searching far and wide for anything that comes close to it.....Well, I think I hit the jackpot!! I found a recipe online and based on the rave reviews from the elder committee of Brooklyn, this is it! I made it today with angst and worry that it would not live up to Ebingers standards but I was wrong. The cake came out beautifully and I can not wait to taste it.....once again and relive a memory that has stayed with me forever....Being a Pastry Chef though, I know that the recipe I have needs to be tweaked and the next time I make it, I am sure it will be Brooklyn Blackout perfection!



Ebinger Baking Company , with a chain of stores across the Brooklyn borough, was founded in 1898 by George and Catherine Ebinger. Famous for their cakes and pies, and especially their Blackout Cake, they closed in bankruptcy on August 26, 1972.The cake is named for the wartime blackouts.

Their famous and beloved chocolate-pudding-filled Blackout Cake was a chocolate layer cake filled and frosted with dark fudge and dusted with chocolate cake crumbs that was so popular that other bakeries in the borough, like Lords Bakery, produced knock-offs.

Here is my version:



Stay tuned for the pics of it sliced so you can see the luscious pudding filling and deep dark chocolate cake layers. I.Can.Not.Wait!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment